Henceforth and forthwith the "Anathema List" will appear this time of year and serve as a foil for our Thanksgiving list.
The theme of this list, then, is still sacred music. This music, though, is thought to be poorly written regarding competent composition, written without attention to style, or without attention to the ideas they are attempting to express.
Some are indecorous, undignified, or simply ugly. Some are clearly in the wrong style altogether, but they are also simply bad. The words and music are, at times, incomprehensible. Jingly-jangly, sing-songy, insipid. . . you get the idea.
Elsewhere we have praised music which perfectly complemented the ideas or even created the idea and hence the relative poverty of the forthcoming songs which either poorly express or are at odds with the ideas.
Of course I am not condemning any of the performers. Too, I realize many will have sentimental attachments to some of these songs.
10. I Am the Bread of Life, by Suzanne Toolan [YouTube]
9. Send Us Your Spirit, by David Haas [YouTube]
8. Blest Are They, by David Haas [YouTube]
7. City of God, by Dan Schutte [YouTube]
6. I Am the Living Bread, by David Haas [Amazon Preview]
5. Center of My Life, by Paul Inwood [YouTube]
4. TIE: In the Breaking of the Bread & A New Commandment by Michael Ward [YouTube]
3. River of Glory, by Dan Schutte [YouTube]
2. Gather Us In, by Marty Haugen [YouTube]
1. Send Down the Fire, by Marty Haugen [YouTube]
- We Remember, by Marty Haugen [YouTube]